What Does a Games Animator Do?
A games animator is responsible for bringing characters and objects to life in a video game. Animators take the objects created by 2D and 3D artists and make them move, adding personality, emotion and realism to the game.
Key Responsibilities of a Games Animator
- Create the movements for characters and vehicles based on the designer’s storyboard.
- Animate objects to make them appear more realistic.
- Create special effects for characters and objects.
- Work with designers to ensure that the animation is consistent with the game’s design.
- Ensure that the animation is optimized for the game’s platform.
- Work with the audio team to ensure that the animation is synchronized with the game’s sound effects.
- Test the animation to ensure that it meets the game’s standards.
A games animator must have a strong understanding of animation principles and techniques, as well as a good eye for detail. They must also be able to work well with other members of the game development team, such as designers, programmers and audio engineers.