What Makes a Character Copyrighted?
Copyright protection is available to both characters that have been solely described in writing, as well as characters depicted in a visual or graphic form. What is required is that the character in question possesses original or a set of distinctive traits, and visual representation is not essential.
Requirements for Copyright Protection
* The character must be original and distinctive.
* The character must be expressed in a tangible form, such as a written description or a visual representation.
* The character must be an original creation of the author, not based on any pre-existing character.
Types of Characters Protected by Copyright
* Fictional characters, such as those found in books, movies, television shows, and video games.
* Non-fictional characters, such as celebrities, politicians, and historical figures.
* Characters that are a combination of real and fictional elements, such as superheroes and other comic book characters.
Benefits of Copyright Protection
* Copyright protection allows the author to control how their character is used and to receive compensation for any unauthorized use.
* Copyright protection prevents others from creating works that are substantially similar to the original character.
* Copyright protection allows the author to protect their character from being used in a way that is damaging to their reputation or brand.